So how did your trip go, with the children, luggage, jetlag, and adjustment and all?
Well, children: They did exceptionally well. People even commented (who I’m sure had been watching with apprehension as we boarded the same plane) “Your children traveled very well.” I thought and I should have said aloud, “You don’t know how many people are praying for these children to travel well! God is answering prayer!” They were able to sleep large chunks of our long flight.
However, halfway through the 16 hour flight, Clara was ready to go back to Grandma's house and have a bath. Sorry, little girl! There is no turning back now!
Our luggage: Less than half our pieces arrived with us to Maputo and we hoped for the best but expected the worst: Either they were lost for good or would arrive later with things missing (stolen). Thankfully, the rest of our luggage arrived the next day with nothing gone. Only our carseat for Clara never arrived.
Jetlag: Thursday night, baby Joshua awoke at 10pm and the whole family was awake until 2am or 3am. We went through probably 4 or 5 cds of bedtime music and songs before everyone fell asleep.
So Friday, only Clara got a brief nap and the rest of us stayed awake until evening so that we could sleep. We had to be up early to catch the plane for Lichinga.
Adjusting: Has gone well. The hard part was when Joshua came down with a fever and vomitting for two days. Maybe a flu he caught on the way? Then Clara and Victoria got the bug. Cleaning up vomit off of pajamas, sheets and mosquito nets at 11pm -- I guess it is part of a mother's job description. Victor and I have also had turns with a tummy bug, but thankfully we are all in good health now.
Thank you for all your prayers!